Our goal is to find a loving, life long home for each animal in our care. We strive to find the most suitable pet for each person and the most suitable home for each animal. To reach that goal, we consider both the lifestyle and expectations of potential adopters and the personality and needs of each animal. We welcome the opportunity to help match you with a wonderful companion and ask that you keep in mind the following guidelines to adopting from Acadiana Animal Aid. Please allow 3 days for our adoption coordinators to review your application and they will contact you.
AAA Adoption Policy
Failure to adhere to policy agreement will cause ownership of adopted animal to revert back to AAA.
- All potential adopters are asked to complete an adoption profile and provide a valid form of identification with a current address.
- We adopt companion animals to be placed into a home setting. All animals must be provided with adequate food, water, shelter, exercise, veterinary care, and companionship.
- Adopters will adhere to all City and/or Parish codes regarding animal ownership.
- To comply with State law, all animals are required to have a rabies vaccination before leaving the shelter. If an animal is too young, the adopter return to AAA to receive the vaccination at the appropriate age.
- All animals will be spayed or neutered, and microchipped before adoption.
- Adopters must be 21 years or older.
- Adopters must provide proof that current housing allows for pet ownership, either in the form of property ownership or a lease agreement that allows pets.
- We ask that all cats remain indoors for their safety. If you choose not to keep a cat indoors, we ask that you adopt an adult cat that has already been allowed to go outside or follow our recommendations for properly acclimating cats to their new home.
- To ensure that all members of the adopting household are in agreement with regards to the adoption of a particular animal, we ask that all members of the household, including dogs, meet and interact with the prospective new pet prior to adoption.
- Adoptions cannot be made as gifts unless the recipient is present to interact with the animal and provide required information.
- No adoptions will be made to an applicant who is suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs during the time of application.
- Applicant’s current animals shall have proof of current vaccinations and current license (where appropriate) before adoption is complete.
- Cats that are currently declawed will be adopted with the intention of keeping them inside at all times for their safety.
- AAA will not adopt to anyone who has the intention of ear cropping, tail docking, or declawing of their animals.
- No adoptions will be made to any individual with a history of animal neglect, abandonment, or abuse.