Failure to adhere to policy agreement will cause ownership of adopted animal to revert back to AAA.
- All potential adopters are asked to complete an adoption profile and provide a valid form of identification with a current address.
- We adopt companion animals to be placed into a home setting. All animals must be provided with adequate food, water, shelter, exercise, veterinary care, and companionship.
- Adopters will adhere to all City and/or Parish codes regarding animal ownership.
- To comply with State law, all animals are required to have a rabies vaccination before leaving the shelter. If an animal is too young, the adopter return to AAA to receive the vaccination at the appropriate age.
- All animals will be spayed or neutered, and microchipped before adoption.
- Adopters must be 21 years or older.
- Adopters must provide proof that current housing allows for pet ownership, either in the form of property ownership or a lease agreement that allows pets.
- We ask that all cats remain indoors for their safety. If you choose not to keep a cat indoors, we ask that you adopt an adult cat that has already been allowed to go outside or follow our recommendations for properly acclimating cats to their new home.
- To ensure that all members of the adopting household are in agreement with regards to the adoption of a particular animal, we ask that all members of the household, including dogs, meet and interact with the prospective new pet prior to adoption.
- Adoptions cannot be made as gifts unless the recipient is present to interact with the animal and provide required information.
- No adoptions will be made to an applicant who is suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs during the time of application.
- Applicant’s current animals shall have proof of current vaccinations and current license (where appropriate) before adoption is complete.
- Cats that are currently declawed will be adopted with the intention of keeping them inside at all times for their safety.
- AAA will not adopt to anyone who has the intention of ear cropping, tail docking, or declawing of their animals.
- No adoptions will be made to any individual with a history of animal neglect, abandonment, or abuse.